Saw a really good demo on WetCanvas today in the Soft Pastel forum by Paula Ford that showed me a new way to blend in the first layer of background colour, using a foam brush. So I tried that tonight as I had a couple of the foam brushes lying around. I’m really happy with the way they worked for the background of this piece. And it was fun trying something new.
I’ve used some really nice Art Spectrum greens (Australian greens) for most of the background. They went on really well on the Richeson’s sanded surface.
I’m really happy with the way this painting is working out. Will finish this next week for sure. (As long as I don’t get too bogged down in detail!) Now it’s just getting the lights and darks right in the dog’s coat and the fine details.