I have sent in my application to do a Fine Arts Diploma at TAFE today. It is 2 years full time (4 days a week), which is more than I really want to commit to, what with K. starting Kindergarten this year. I spoke to the head teacher at the campus who said that the course can be tailored to suit what I am willing to commit to, but that is going to increase the cost quite a lot. So, I really have to think hard about what I am going to do.
We had an interview at the school we want K. to go to next year and have been told that they are going to recommend to the principal that they take her. They have before and after care on site at this school, so that is a big positive. The TAFE course runs between 9am and 4pm, so if I go to TAFE I am going to need to have her in care at some stage. But, and this is a big but, this year I’d really like to be there for K. as she starts school. For the first 6 weeks she’ll finish at 2.30pm – I don’t want to leave her at school until 4.30pm.
My mum lives half an hour away, so I don’t feel right asking her to come over and look after K. for an hour or so each day – she is 74 after all, and I don’t have anyone in the area that can take her for that time.
It’s funny – where I grew up we knew all our neighbours, and in fact, one close neighbour looked after me every day before and after school so my mum could go to work. I’ve been living here for 13 years and only know one neighbour really well (another one died a few years ago). When I was working full time, I never saw any neighbours as we left early in the morning and got home late at night. And once K. came along I was busy with her, and most of my neighbours were out at work. It’s a really nice neighbourhood, but I hardly ever see kids around when we go for walks, nor any people gardening or pottering around. Does everyone go to work everyday nowadays? (Out of the 10 mums in my mothers group, I was the only one who didn’t go back to work).
Anyway, I digress. Diploma. Will I do it? I really don’t know. I want to but I only get this one chance to be there for K. when she starts school. I can do the diploma next year once she is settled in. I’ll decide once I know if I get in. If I don’t get in, all this angst is moot, isn’t it!