Started work again on the sketch I did a month or so ago of St Barts. Sitting down and looking at the sketch made me realise that there were a few things I needed to re draw before I started laying in greys.
So I resketched the church, fixed up its perspective (and then forgot to take a photo before I started laying in the grey!) And as I started putting colour in, I made changes to some of the gravestones, tidying them up, getting rid of sketch lines that needed to go. Because this is on Art Spectrum Colourfix paper, erasing is not an easy business.
This is where I stopped when I ran out of time…
I have placed warm greys in the foreground and started darkening them further. As I was running out of time, you can see where I have put the cooler grey but haven’t done any blending or darkening. But at least I have some colour on most of the graveyard now.
This is being drawn on Black Colourfix and it is a full sheet, so it is going to be a good size. If I had worked any smaller I think I would have been tearing my hair out by now!
It is really strange to be working backwards with the tones. Whites will take the place of the shadows in this piece to ground it and give it the dimension it needs. That takes some re-thinking and I need to be always aware that this is different from working in colour.
I am really happy with how this is coming together. When I had the highlights to ground it all I think it will look really good – at least that is the plan!