As a part of my new watercolour journey, I am making an H2O Journal. This includes making the covers, preparing the pages and learning how to bind them together.
Tonight I set to work making the covers, using collage and paint.
These are the front and back covers after I have finished the collage. Enjoyed ripping up papers and finding text that I liked.
Next I was to make marks using acrylic paint and stencils, which I did but not so happy with the result. I think I would have preferred just stopping with the collage, but I am always willing to go along with the exercise, even if I end up with something different from where I thought I was going.
I have gone from a very clean look to a very messy look. I used a stencil that I didn’t like so had to play with the paint to get rid of the evidence of the stencil. I think if I revisit these with some wax pastels I can end up with something I am happier with. I call this a hot mess right now. Maybe I will end up putting gesso over the lot and starting again!! This is what happens when you don’t go with your own instincts. But it was fun to play and get my hands messy with paint. (ooh, just had a thought… I will get out the Sharpies and add some detail and may just save this thing).
Next I punched holes in the covers and the pages. It is all ready to learn coptic stitch (I think that is what our tutor called it). I’m looking forward to learning how to do that.
I don’t even really like posting how this journal ended up looking. But this is part of my journey playing with media I am not used to working with and learning through my mistakes… I hope!