Mississhippi's Madness

A place to share my creative pursuits


7 Comments

New granny square blanket

This blanket has taken me way too long to complete. It started out as a stash buster and ended up needing more yarn than planned, increasing my stash rather than busting it.

The 8 single colour squares is where it started, with the light green surround and then a single row of dark green double (UK) crochet. I loved the look of the squares with the two greens, and got completely stuck trying to work out what colour to put around them. I created the central square with all of the colours to anchor them together, but still couldn’t see what colour would work and I really wanted to keep the dark green.

When I was writing short stories, I was told to ‘kill your darlings,’ in other words, just because you like it a lot it doesn’t mean it works. So the dark green had to go.

With a new, fresh look at the squares I knew what I wanted to do. From then on the work went quickly. Granny square blankets don’t really take ages to make but this one felt like it took years. In real time hours, it probably took two to three weeks. I started the squares back in January! The final row around the outside is crab stitch which gives a lovely finish to the blanket. I’m not a scallop gal, plain, simple and a bit contemporary for me.

I was going to donate this or give it away, but now I think I will keep it. I can’t keep every blanket, but some are special. And my daughter wants it too… I’ll see about that!
Now I am really working on a stash busting blanket…

Same colours, simple pattern. I will make some lap blankets and donate them to a local craft group where the funds they make from selling these will go towards charity projects in the local area. These are good to do when I sit down at night after dinner and put my feet up for a while. A few rows at a time and it will be completed very quickly.

Advertisements


3 Comments

New Project- Granny Stripe Baby Blanket

My mum asked me if I could make a baby blanket for the granddaughter of a friend. I hunted around but couldn’t find a pattern that we liked, so I turned to Pinterest for inspiration. Their are some fantastic designs out there, so settled on the granny stripe and developed a pattern from there.

As it’s a girl, colours were easy but we were constrained by budget. Would have liked to make it in cotton as it is a September baby, but a bit too expensive for mum. But I found a really soft, pretty acrylic – Panda Magnum Soft 8ply. It is lovely to work with and comes in 100g balls.

Here is a sneak peak of what I’ve done so far…

20140707-174202-63722011.jpg

Normally with 8ply I would use a 4mm crochet hook, but it used up the yarn too quickly, so I switched (after much undoing… lol) to a 4.5mm hook, less stitches and voila, a pretty baby blanket, just a little looser in the stitches. I’m going to revisit the granny stripe blanket again and use the 4mm with 8ply as I did love the look of the close stitches; it made this yarn look like it had a wonderful sheen to it.

I’ll post a finished picture once it is completed.


7 Comments

On holidays

Happy New Year to all!

Things have been quiet on the art front since the school holidays began, and prior to that it was the rush to get organised for Christmas. That included all the school activities including presentation day (my daughter received an award – yay!), and making chocolate shortbread for all K’s teachers (18 in all – including guide leaders and piano teacher). There was something on everyday in December – none of them to do with art, more’s the pity.

But I have been creating in other ways – mostly in crochet (something I can do anywhere, anytime, and I don’t need to have all my concentration on it).

So here are a few of the things I have made, some finished, some still works in progress…

Crochet_1

I completed a blanket as a gift for a friend for Xmas/birthday in December, and made another crochet bag for my daughter

Crochet_2

Over a cuppa with a friend I taught myself how to make this flower in crochet

Crochet_3

I had some beautiful organic cotton, some from Blue Sky Alpacas, and decided to start a blanket for my daughter. She keeps wanting to pinch mine so thought I’d better make one just for her. This is the start of it – quite a few granny squares still needed

Orange green mitre_1

I started this mitre square blanket in winter and finally finished it in December

Orange green mitre_2

Once I’d finished this I then crocheted an edge around it. My husband has laid claim to this one for winter

crochet_4

Using some left over 10ply (4ply US) cotton I have started a scrap rug of flowers. Will probably make a runner for the end of the bed or something like that. Will wait and see how it grows

Only a couple more weeks of holidays and then everything will settle back down again… I hope.